This creamy Swiss cheese sauce is a great way to layer flavor on any vegetable dish. I love it because it's easy and so quick to make. It's delicious particularly on roasted vegetables. One suggestion is to serve it on my vegetable side dish for Easy Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Carrots.
Yields: about 3/4 cups
- 1 Tablespoon butter, preferably unsalted
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of half and half milk (or regular milk)
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- Optional: sea salt and white pepper to taste
- Optional: garnish with sliced spring onions
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until it is completely dissolved. Continue to stir while slowly mixing in the half and half milk. Bring to a low simmer. Continue to stir until the sauce is smooth and starts to thicken a little (about 5-8 minutes).
- Gradually add 1/3 amount of the cheese. Allow to melt. Then add the remaining cheese 1/3 at a time, stirring and allowing the cheese to melt each time.
- Once all of the cheese has melted, remove from heat and serve as soon as possible.