I confess, there was a time when I really did hate the bitterness of brussel sprouts. Funny how one's taste changes over the years or when dish is simply served in a more appealing delicious way. This latter option brought brussel sprouts to my table when an aunt served it with carrots and a cheese sauce that balanced the bitterness.
My version of her brussel sprouts is to roast it along with baby carrots, white pearl onions and lots of garlic and thyme. I toss it in 100% olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper. Then I top it with a simple Swiss cheese sauce. In fact, this entire side dish is simple and easy to make--offering the rewards of a healthy side dish (or meal) with lots flavor.
Add more color to your brussel sprouts with a medley of colors of baby carrots.
Do add lots of crushed garlic!
What meal could be more inviting than a mix of lovely vegetables, douced in oil, herbs and seasonings spread out on a baking sheet!
Pre-heat oven 400 degrees F
Suggested tools: baking sheet, garlic crusher
Ingredients for vegetable medley:
- 3/4-pound of fresh brussel sprouts
- 12 ounces baby carrots, preferably medley color, rinsed
- 4-6 ounces fresh white pearl onions, peeled and left whole
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves trimmed on stems
- 2-3 Tablespoons 100% olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Rinse, cut off root ends of brussel sprouts and remove any spoiled outer leaves. Cut brussel sprouts in half.
- Peal and slice carrots about 1/4 inch thick.
- Strip leaves from thyme stem.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Pour ingredients onto a baking sheet, evenly spreading the vegetables.
- Place on middle rack in the oven.
- Bake 20-25 minutes but shake the sheets to turn over vegetables mid-way during baking.
Ingredients for Creamy Swiss Cheese Sauce:
Check out my Anns-liee store on Zazzle:
- 1 Tablespoon butter, preferably unsalted
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of half and half milk (or regular milk)
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until it is completely dissolved. Continue to stir while slowly mixing in the half and half milk. Bring to a low simmer. Continue to stir until the sauce is smooth and starts to thicken a little (about 5-8 minutes). Gradually add 1/3 amount of the cheese. Allow to melt. Then add the remaining cheese 1/3 at a time, stirring and allowing the cheese to melt each time. Once all of the cheese has melted, remove from heat and serve as soon as possible.
This is an estimated nutritional value for the roasted brussel sprouts, carrots, pearl onions and garlic. It also estimates 100% olive oil as 2 tablespoons. Estimate does not include salt and ingredients for the creamy Swiss cheese sauce:
You may also like these vegetable dishes: