Deliciously refreshing salad includes English cucumber, mango, feta cheese and red onion is tossed in a garliky ranch-style dressing. Heaping spoon fulls of the salad is then layered on a romaine lettuce leaf in the style of boat. More flavor is added with the topping of alfalfa-radish sprouts. Healthy and filling makes this is a great light lunch with a dinner role or even a side salad.
See how it's made:
- 1 - 12" long English cucumber, chopped into 1/2" wide triangles
- 1 whole mango, chopped about 1/2" cubes
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 3 Tablespoons red onions, chopped very small
- Alfalfa-radish sprouts
- 6-7 leaves romaine lettuce, separated, washed, crisped with ends cut off
Assemble the first four ingredients in a bowl. Toss. Add 5 tablespoons of the ranch-style dressing (recipe below). Mix well. Using a knife, spread a little ranch-style dressing over each leaf lettuce. Spoon the salad mix on the leaf lettuce and top with the sprouts.
Ingredients for Ranch-Style Dressing:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 medium size garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Fresh dill, snip in about a 1 teaspoon
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a medium-size bowl. Chill and use as desired. Yields about 1/2 cup.
- English cucumbers have little to no seeds. They are a bit more expensive than regular cucumbers; however, it's worth the additional cost. If you cannot find English cucumbers, of course, substitute with the regular cucumbers.
- When cutting mangos, slice down on the sides that are wider and more flatter. Mangoes are wonderfully sweet and delicious but the down side is the very larger seeds.
- This ranch-style salad dressing if based on Dave Lieberman's ranch dressing (from Food Network) and is great as is on a wedge of lettuce. Where he adds chive, I add dill. Where he adds white vinegar, I add white wine vinegar. My substitutions, I believe, best compliment the cucumber and mango.
More salad recipes: