Chocolate molten lava cakes are simply divine and quite easy to make. This one, made with Grand Marnier liqueur, is particularly delicious. Served with ice cream, raspberries, and a cup of java, it is the perfect ending to a wonderful meal.
One of its great features, is that molten lava cakes can be made well ahead of time and kept in the fridge. Bring it to room temperature and pop in a preheated oven about 15 minutes before ready to serve.
Preheat oven: 425 degrees
Tools: 2 - 6-ounce ramekins; sheet tray; whisk or hand mixer; double boiler set up
- 2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 ounces semi-sweet dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 2-3/4 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons Grand Marnier liqueur
- Dark cocoa power for garnish (optional)
- Spray ramekins with non-stick with flour and set aside. Place a cookie sheet in the oven on the middle rack.
- Melt butter and dark semi-sweet chocolate in double boiler. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the hot simmering water. (If you do not have a double boiler, just place a glass or stainless-steel bowl on top of a sauce pan with about 1-1/2 cups of water low simmering water.)
- While the butter and dark chocolate is melting, separate the egg yolks from the whites, placing egg yolks in one bowl and retain one egg white in a second bowl. With the hand mixer, whisk the egg whites until fluffy and shiny, almost to the point of a meringue.
- In the first bowl with the egg yolks, add the powdered sugar and salt. Blend well until smooth. Whisk the chocolate and butter well. Then slowly, add chocolate to the egg yolk but just a little at a time. You don't want to cook the eggs with the hot chocolate. Continue to mix while adding the flour, a little at a time. Add and mix in the Grand Marnier liqueur. Fold in the egg whites and gently blend.
- Using a large spoon, spoon mixture into the ramekins. Place on the hot sheet pan. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cook until you can stick a toothpick in the edge and it comes up clean. It's better to under cook than to over cook, unless you just want cake! Remove from oven and allow to rest for 1 minutes.
- Place an inverted plate on top of the ramekin. Grasping the ramekin and the top of the plate, flip the ramekin over. Gradually lift it up from the lava cake.
Serve immediately with ice cream and raspberries. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
To compliment a romantic dinner, such as Valentine's Day, you may want to try my
Pepper Filet Mignon with Flambe Butter Sauce