Made for hearty appetites, this deep dish chicken pot pie has a double crust. It's loaded with chicken and vegetables: broccoli, celery, onions, and carrots. A simple chicken broth is enhanced with roasted garlic (recipe: How To Roast Garlic Bulbs) and just salt and pepper. One of the best part is that this deep dish chicken pot pie is also healthy!
Make the pie crust ahead of time or the whole pie ahead of time or just make it and serve the same day!!
Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Spray pie dish with non-stick cooking spray (with flour)
- 10" deep dish pie pan (1-1/2 to 2 inches deep)
- Dutch oven or very large pot
- Food processor (Use an 11-cup; however, if using a small food processor, you will need to make the pie dough in two batches.)
Pie Crust Ingredients (for two pie crusts)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, very cold, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, very cold
- 8-12 Tablespoon ice water
Preparation for the pie crust
Add flour, sugar and salt in a food processor work bowl. Pulse 2-3 times. Add butter and vegetable shortening. Pulse 8-10 times or until the dough consistency is crumbly like corn meal. Add about 10 Tablespoons of ice water. Pulse about 10 times. Squeeze the dough. If it crumbles, add more ice water but 1 tablespoon at a time. You want the dough to stick together when squeezed.
Transfer dough to a work surface. Make a disk and cut in half. Make two disks about 1-1/2 inches thick. Wrap in cling wrap and store in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
While the dough is in the refrigerator, make the filling.
Chicken pot pie filling ingredients
- 4 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 3/4 cup onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 roasted garlic cloves, diced (Substitute with fresh garlic for a stronger taste.)
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1-1/2 cup (about 6 ounces) frozen whole pearl onions
- 6 ounces frozen carrots, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 2-1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or in pieces (For best flavor, use roasted or rotisserie chicken.)
Preparation for filling
On medium heat, melt butter in Dutch oven. Add onions and celery. Cook until onions are translucent. Transfer onions and celery to a small dish, leaving as much butter as possible in the pot. Stir in garlic and cook for about a minute or less. Push garlic to the side of the pot.
Stir in flour. The mixture will form lots of clumps but keep stirring. Slowly add about 1/2 to 1 cup of broth while continually stirring. As the liquid starts to smooth out, add the remaining broth. Continue to stir until completely smooth. Slowly stir in the heavy whipping cream.
Return onions and celery to the pot. Add pearl onions, carrots, broccoli and chicken. Bring filling to low simmer. Cover and remove from heat. Set the pot aside.
Lightly dust a cold surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll out the bottom dough to measure 12 inches round. From the edge of the pie dough, lift it onto the rolling pin while gently lifting the dough. Placie the dough over the pie dish. Gently tuck dough into the dish and up the sides of the dish to its edge. Gently, spoon filling into the pie dish. Start at the center and push the filling out to the edges.
Roll out the top dough and cut 8 strips that measure 1-1/2 x 12 inches. Create the basket weave by placing 4 strips across the top of the filling, draping the edges over the pie dish. Pull back 2 alternate strips halfway across itself. Lay a fifth strip over the strips that are not folded back. Then bring the strips that are folded back over the fifth strip. Repeat these steps by alternating strips.
Fold the strip edges back to the edge of the pie dish, pressing them into the edges of the bottom pie dough. Crimp the edges. Milk wash the top of the pie dough. Bake 45-50 minutes.